12 July 2007
He's Home
My dad is finally backed from Indonesia today. A trip he made alone to visit my relatives who are still stuck there at Bawean Island with no possibilities of migrating due to documentation problems.

>>Bawean is an island of Indonesia located approximately 200 km north of Surabaya in the Java Sea. The name comes from Sanskrit which means "there is sunlight". It is approximately 15 km in diameter and is circumnavigated by a single narrow road. Bawean is dominated by an extinct volcano at its center that rises over 650 m above sea level. The islands population is around 65,000. Approximately 40,000 live in the capital of Sangkapura and the rest live in small villages scattered around the island.<<

I'm lucky I have been there to at least visit and see their lifestyle. I only wished they turn back their wishes and hopes of ever leaving their peaceful land. A land with no worries, no stress, no racism, no bills and best, no expectations. They may have to toil their lives planting and pruning and toggling hard work to earn a living, but hey, everyone there owns either their own land or bungalows. Yes! Land and bungalows. Land of padi fields, crops and vegs. House made of stone though barely furnished inside. Their pedestrian pavements are covered with marbles. MARBLES STONES!!! Which of course here, is a costly damn tile to even build for your flooring depending on the grade of the marbles. Their ash trays are even made of Marbles and so are their side table, the body of their bedside lamp, wall mirror and much more... What do we own other then a luxurious car? We live in a crampy HDB full of bills, debts and taxes! The air we breathe in is beginning to get more and more toxic with the mass of pollutants everywhere.

There, the air is fresher, like you've never breathe before. The land is greener like you've never seen before. No refinineries, industries and heavy machineries. The place where my relatives are calling it their home is an island tad bigger than our country land. You travel by a 3hr ferry from Surabaya, Indonesian. The ferry only departs from Gresik terminal to Sangkapura terminal (Bawean) on Wednesdays and from Sangkapura to Gresik on Sundays. Any other day, you have to ride on a fishing tongkang with no more than 20 pax, cramping together like sardines riding the rough Java Sea for a journey of 8hrs long. I can't imagine taking that ride. Even on a 3hrs big ferry is long enough to get me nauseated throughout. 8hrs on tongkang? Never mind, thank you.


Sangkapura Ferry Terminal by Sunset

The best of my visit to my aunts there was the 45min 4-wheel drive to the waterfalls. I think it's called the Teraga Kastoba, a Crater Lake, which to some believed that if you swim in it, you will become cursed and die. No, I didn't swim and never did try to dismiss any folklore... Just a leg dipped in the water.

Teraga Kastoba - Crater Lake

Trekking up is of course needed to get to the better part of it and mind you, it wasn't an easy walk up the river. But it was well worth it and the rest of my families and Yours Truly really enjoyed it. Other best moments is like having lost our way in padi fields, going through a larger than life Bull that so happen to be grazing on our path and nobody, not even my big sized uncle dares to shoo it away because of its larger than us size. Hilarious but wholesome fun!

There are loads to share about on that trip of mine but that's pretty much I can relate for now. I'm just glad my dad is back safely as he wasn't too well when he left. He got the whole family worrying for him that throughout his trip, we never stop calling him to ask how he's been doing and sort. Will be dropping by my Mum's to have a peek at my dad today and see what goodies he had brought back home for us.

Next year, if God's willing, I will make a trip back there if my dad is going again. That time round, I’ll bring my hubby along to get a taste of nature with 'hand-catch' steamed fish, 'backyard' fried chicken and 'you-just-had-a-pat' lamb chop on the menu. Hehehe... I think, I won't let him lose his appetite. I'll just keep mum about the whereabouts of his food supplies...



posted by DRooLZ79 @ 11:09 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: DRooLZ79
Home: Singapore
About Me: A hectic person whose time are mostly needed to be where she had to be... my family...
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Your Nonsensical Rants